For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act) and the General Data Protection Regulations, Cruickshanks is committed to protecting your privacy. This policy (together with our terms and conditions and any other documents referred to in it) sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us over our website or in any other way (such as over the telephone), will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our practice regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
Who is responsible for managing your information?
What information do we collect?
We usually collect the following kinds of personal information (which can include sensitive information):
• Name, address, age, occupation, qualifications/professional membership, and other contact information;
• Information specific to the legal advice sought by a you or arising in the course of giving legal advice;
• Interests in areas of legal practice or events;
• Information about people’s dealings with us or you, including visits made to our offices or to events in which we are involved;
• We also collect website usage information and We do this by using cookies (see section 7 below)
How do we use your information?
The information you provide may be used in a number of ways, for example:
• Where that is necessary for the purpose of, or in connection with, any legal proceedings (including prospective legal proceedings), for the purpose of providing or obtaining legal advice, or is otherwise necessary for the purposes of establishing, exercising or defending legal rights, or is necessary in order to protect the vital interests of the individual to whom the information relates (in relation to any matter on which we are giving legal advice, personal information may include personal information relating to the you or your counterparty and their and their advisers’ owners, officers, employees and associates (and in the case if you are an individual, you or your family members);
• To provide legal services (and associated consultancy and advisory services) to you, to manage and account for those services, and to improve those services;
• To manage our relationships with you and suppliers and with businesses and others who we believe might become you or suppliers;
• To facilitate our internal business operations, fulfiling our legal requirements and professional obligations, to support and manage our employees, to protect our property and premises, to prevent and investigate crime or possible crime, and to provide information to external service providers so that they can provide financial, administrative or other services in connection with the operation of our business;
Disclosure of your Information
In using personal information (including sensitive information) we may disclose it:
• In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
• If we or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by us about you will be one of the transferred assets.
When can we contact you in the future?
We would like to send your information about our own services, as well as those of selected third parties. We may do this by post, telephone, email or SMS, unless you have told us that you do not wish to be contacted in this way. We will always ask you to confirm in advance that you are happy for us to allow third parties to contact you by email. If you would like to change any of your preferences relating to the way in which we may use your information for direct marketing, then please update your user preferences or contact us.
How can you access and update your information?
You have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you. If you would like a copy of some or all of your personal information, please email or write to us at our address 10 Bentinck Street London W1U 2EW. Please note that we may charge a small administrative fee for the provision of this information.
We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. You may ask us to correct or remove information you think is inaccurate.
Does the policy apply to linked websites?